What is family medicine?
Family medicine is the medical specialty concerned with the total health care of the individual and the family. The family physician care is both personal and comprehensive and not limited by age, sex, organ system or type of problem, be it biological, behavioral or social.
The family physician is like a coordinator of the care who integrates all aspects of a person’s health into a coherent picture, taking into account not just the patient’s current problem list but their personhood before and beyond illness.
At the center of the family medicine process is the patient-physician relationship with the patient viewed in the context of the family. It is the extent to which this relationship is valued, developed, nurtured and maintained that distinguishes family medicine from all other specialties.
Why is family medicine important?
Family medicine aims to provide personalized, comprehensive and continuing care for individuals in a family or within the community. There is a special focus on preventive care through individualized disease prevention and health promotion programs.
What does a family medicine physician do?
The family physician functions as the patient’s entry into the health care system and in most situations is in a unique position to form deeper understanding of the patient’s needs.
Family medicine physicians are trained in three specific areas: pediatrics, internal medicine and OBGYN. They deliver a range of acute, chronic and preventive medical services. In addition to diagnosing and treating a host of conditions, they also provide preventive care, including routine check-ups, health risk assessments, immunization and screening tests, and personalized counseling on maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
We successfully treat, reduce pain, and stabilize the joints for:
- Pediatric and adolescent medicine
- Preventive healthcare: including child exam and sports physicals
- Physical exams
- Women’s healthcare
- Pap smear
- Pre-natal checks and consultation
- Full spectrum of adult medicine for men and women
- Family planning
- Adult & child immunizations
- Patient education
- Endocrine disorders
- Diabetes management
- Thyroid disorders
- High blood pressure management
- Allergy and Asthma treatment
- Radiology and laboratory services
- Anticoagulation management
- Comprehensive healthcare for infants, children and adults
- Prenatal care
- Routine gynecological care
- Acne management
- Treatment of ADHD
- Treatment of depression, panic disorder and anxiety disorder.
- Sports medicine and injuries (ankle, knee, shoulder)
- Back + joint pain
- Minor dermatologic surgeries
- Mole excisions
- Cyst removals